January 14, 2013

Red Carpet Review: Golden Globes 2013

Last night saw Hollywood's award season kick off with the Golden Globes and of course with every award show come a whole plethora of designer gowns. I'm going to take you through who I felt were my top 5 best and worst dressed of the night and then my overall winner for both.

Best Dressed
Kate Hudson, Emily Blunt, Naomi Watts, Julianne Hough, Nicole Kidman
This is very typical for Kate Hudson, a slinky number with a very daringly low neckline but there's a reason she keeps going for it, it looks amazing! However, I think I would've preferred to see an up-do due to the busy detailing around the neck.

At first I wasn't 100% sure about the cutouts in Emily's dress and I'm still not. I think I'm starting to lean more towards the like end of the spectrum but overall the dress is stunning but then I'm yet to see Emily Blunt look anything but.

I love nearly everything about Naomi's gown. The colour is incredible and I love the style, the only thing I'm a bit iffy about is the train. I'm a bit indifferent to it, I feel it would have looked better if the dress it's self merged into a train rather than attaching a separate one.

Julianne Hough's dress is Monique Lhullier so I'm not surprised in the least that I fell in love with it. I particularly love how Julianne has styled it, the slightly edgy hair and make-up adds a funky twist to what is a very girly gown.

My overall winner has to be Nicole Richie, I loved her dress the second I saw it! The long sleeves and the high neck and the lace and the colour are all amazing. I love how sophisticated Nicole has become over the last few years. The only thing I'm not sure about is the tassels on the clutch as they feel like they're competing with the dress unnecessarily. But, I can let it slide.

Worst Dressed
Jessica Chastain, Giuliana Rancic, Sienna Miller, Kerry Washington, Emily Mortimer
This colour should work on Jessica, what with her being a redhead and all, but for some reason I just don't feel like it does. I also don't like how loose the top is, it makes her boobs look like they're round her waist which is not a look you should be aiming for.

I had to give this one to Guiliana purely on the grounds that she helps present Fashion Police and should therefore be able to dress herself. Apparently not. I just don't understand this dress, it's a contradiction. The sheer lace over her chest is saying 'sexy' while the lace itself mixed with the weird neck brace is saying 'modest granny'. Said neck brace also gives her a bit of a lollipop head...

I genuinely didn't recognise Sienna when I first saw her. She looks so young, and fair dos to her for managing that with such minimal make-up but when you add in a dress that looks like she's made it from her baby daughter's bedroom, it goes too far. 

I'm really not a fan of this whole "let's make the bottom of the dress sheer", I just don't understand it and I don't like how it looks. I like it even less when you forget to take the dress all the way to the floor. Why would you end it at the ankles? 

While I loves me a high neckline with long sleeves a la Nicole Richie, it doesn't always work and Emily Mortimer is a prime example. There's far too much metallic. She looks like the tin man wearing chain mail and while the losers at the Golden Globes don't enjoy not winning I'm pretty sure they won't attack you with a spear while you make your way to Oz. Next time, ease on the metallic or the amount of fabric, unless of course "tin man going to war" was the look you were going for.

So there we have it. I'm planning on doing this for all the major award ceremonies and maybe more if you guys like it. Let me know in the comments below!

Who was your best and worst dressed of the Golden Globes 2013?

MeganShaelyn x


1 comment:

  1. I actually like Kerry Washington's gown! Although the hemline is less than graceful. But the top detail is beautiful!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete