January 10, 2013

Film Review: Les Misérables


I've been singing the songs from Les Miserable for years but had never had the opportunity to actually go see the show so when I found out that there was going to be a film I got very excited!

There had been mutterings of Oscar noms for the film for quite a while and positive reviews were coming through left right and centre as the film came out a good few weeks ago in the states so I had extremely high expectations. Well, on Tuesday I finally got to see it.

Boy does this film live up to expectations! It took me a little while to get used to the sort of talk-singing that links the main songs together but once I did I hardly even noticed that they never spoke. I'm so glad Tom Hooper took the decision for the actors to sing live because it really does add an amazing amount of depth to their performances.

The cast is incredible and as I expected Anne Hathaway blows it out of the water. A highlight for me was Helena Bonham-Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen, probably because they provide the much needed comic relief in the film. If I were to say there was a weaker performance I would say that it comes from Amanda Seyfried, I'm just not a huge fan of her voice but she also didn't have the best songs, or role to be honest, to work with especially compared to Fantine (Hathaway) and Eponine (Samantha Barks). She wasn't bad, she just wasn't as good as everyone else. 

There really is a reason that this film is up for so many Oscars. It made an epic start to the year for films and hopefully is a good omen for what is to come!

MeganShaelyn x


2 comments:

  1. Loved les Mis! Watched it the first day it came out and honestly I think they did an amazing job at picking Cosette. Going to the theatre and watching the movie I didn't really have expectations just because I was only told about the story. But watching it was definetly a lifechanging experience. Who knew musicals could make you emotional ?

    Yaz.xX

    hisociety101.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog!

    follow for a follow? :)

    www.rueabbey.blogspot.com

    -S Xx

    ReplyDelete