February 11, 2013

Red Carpet Review: Grammy Awards 2013

I know what you're thinking "where's your BAFTA's review?!" Well, I can honestly say that I have never seen a more boring red carpet as was the BAFTA's. It was just a sea of black with the speckle of pink that was Helen Mirren's hair. Therefore, I decided not to bother and instead I'm gonna review what is usually the craziest red carpet of the year, the Grammys.

THE BEST
Rihanna, Florence Welch, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Beyonce
Rihanna was hands down, the best dressed of the evening for me. Normally she turns up in some crazy ass concoction but this time she managed to shock the world by wearing something completely demure, and sophisticated but as it's slightly sheer in the bodice it still has a Rihanna feel to it. 

I know this particular outfit has divided opinions. I personally really like it. Despite the dinosaur-esque details I really like it, plus they add some interest to what could have been a slightly boring dress. The colour is amazing especially on Florence with her fiery locks.

This is typical Taylor. Long, flowy, pale and now with the added sprinkle of sexy that she's been favouring lately. It works and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Right?

Admittedly my first thought when I saw Katy was "boobs" but hey it's Katy Perry. It wouldn't be right if it didn't have a bit of a sexy element. Again, I love the colour, it's unexpected and the detail around the neckline adds some interest (for the women, cause me thinks men aren't gonna be looking that far north).

Only Beyoncé could pull off this playsuit. I'm not sure how much I'd like it on someone else, probably not much, but Beyoncé just looks awesome.

THE WORST
Adele, D'Manti,  Lisa D'Amato, Lila Downs, Kate Pierson
I always wondered why Adele always stuck to black. Now I know. Curtains is the only thing that comes to mind, and not the good kind. It doesn't help that the shoes are matchy. Some simple black heels might have helped the look a smidge. It's just so busy.

I had to give worst dressed to D'Manti purely becasue, well, she forgot to actually get dressed. I'm pretty sure this dress (and I'm using that in the losest sense of the word) doesn't fit to the new PG guidelines that were introduced this year. Next time leave the negligee for the bedroom, yeah?

The main part of this dress is actually not to bad. A simple monochrome number with a pop of bright pink. I can deal with that. Unfortunately whoever designed the dress didn't know when to stop and thought it would be a good idea to add on some stripy 80's style bouffant sleeves. Unnecessary. 

That is a lot of pattern right there. I love pattern but there is such a thing as too much and this is too much. Then she goes and adds the completely unnecessary bright blue shawl with it. At least that wasn't patterned too.

Despite this being a single colour it somehow manages to just be far too much. The high neck put together with the long sleeves and then her hair being down, it's just way too much going on right there. This dress also makes me think "boobs" but this time it's not in the slightest bit positive. At least Katy has some cracking cleavage to flaunt, this is just bringing attention to something we don't want our attention brought to.

This red carpet was definitely more interesting that the BAFTA's, poor show Britain  but then music awards are always on the more crazy side of things. Where else could you get away with turning up in a spacesuit? At least he helped fill the bat shit crazy void that is usually filled by Lady Gaga and/or Nicki Minaj.
Olga Levit with 'spaceman' DJ Al Walser
Last but most certainly not least is the mother of all the awards in Hollywood, the Academy Awards. Let's hope everyone's left their best til last. See you then!

0 comments:

Post a Comment