January 23, 2015

Movie Review: Interstellar

I know Interstellar has been out for a while but I couldn't not talk about it. Never in all my life have I seen a movie this intense! I went home that night and didn't even know what to think. My brain was on overdrive and would not stop.

I'm not sure I even know how to articulate how I felt after having seen this movie. The fact that you could hear a pin drop as the credits started shows just how much of an impact this movie has. It's not a favourite movie in the sense that I'm itching to buy the DVD and watch it on repeat but rather it was simply a film that moved me in a way a film never really has before. 

To put it simply, Christopher Nolan nailed it. The story is gripping throughout despite it's 169 minute running time. While in some ways elements of the story are predictable such as the repercussions the team face when dealing with time and relativity, it manages to throw enough unexpected revelations to keep you on the edge of your seat and grabbing for the tissues throughout.

The cast as a whole are incredible. For me though, it's Matthew McConaughey that's the stand out performance. Despite the very futuristic feel of the film, he manages to bring a huge amount of humanity to both his character and the story in general. He shows the true love a father can have for his daughter and how the thought of seeing her again is enough to keep him going through anything.

If I have anything negative to say about the film it would be that, at times it is quite confusing especially if you're not particularly well read on all things astronomical. The pivotal scene during the climax of the film took me a little while to get my head around and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I really understand it now but I think in some ways, you just have to accept what the characters are saying. You can worry about the technical details about how it all works afterwards. Either that, or I'm just a bit slow on the uptake.

I went in to the film with little expectation, in fact I thought I might even find it a little boring. Space movies aren't normally my kind of thing but how wrong I could have been. It's a film that makes you think. It makes you see the world in a different way. It makes you feel small and yet at the same time makes you realise how important you are as a member of the human race. 

Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts on Interstellar? Let me know in the comments.

Photo: Paramount Pictures

0 comments:

Post a Comment