December 22, 2012

A Strictly Awesome Final!

Congratulations Louis & Flavia!
Louis & Flavia lifting the infamous Strictly glitter ball trophy.
If you don't live in the UK this post will probably won't mean a lot to you but for the past 14 weeks Strictly Come Dancing has been the highlight of my week. I've watched it every year since series 2 and it just keeps getting better every year!

But now it is over.

For the first time in the 10 series run, there was 4 couples in the final last night: Louis & Flavia, Dani & Vincent, Denise & James and Kimberly & Pasha.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest that Dani was the first to leave. As brilliant as she was she just wasn't unto the standard of the other three. Now, Kimberly, Denise and Louis, there just was not a pin between them. I didn't vote because I genuinely could't decide who to vote for. Admittedly, through most of the series I'd been a keen supporter of Kimberly and Pasha but that was mainly due to being a fan of Girls Aloud. However last night all three blew out the water and I just couldn't choose. 
Dani & Vincent performing the romantic rumba portion of their showdance.
I wasn't too surprised that Denise didn't win because, like Matt Baker last year, she peaked too early (i.e. she was awesome from the start). The British public like to vote see an improvement over the series which you really didn't get with Denise.
Denise & James at the end of their amazing showdance.

Kimberley was sort of in the same boat as she too has been pretty good from very early on. She also came from a very dance oriented background.

Louis however had many things on his side in terms of winning over the Great British public. One, he's a guy and it's well known that guys have the harder job on Strictly what with having to lead and what not. Two, he's a gymnast, this meant he could pull off some amazing tricks and a damn fine body but also, it meant he was the only one in the final who didn't really come from a performance background and again the British public appreciated that he ultimately had a tougher job than the others.
Kimberley & Pasha performing their beautiful Viennese Waltz during the final.
So now that I think about it I'm really not surprised Louis won and to be honest, the final three, without a doubt, deserved to be in the final so I would have been happy had any of them won.

This season really has been brilliant. The level of dancing talent has been ridiculously high and for the first time since 2009 we've had 4 judges who actually knew what they were talking about! For one Darcy Bussell is, well, Darcy Bussell. You know? One of the most famous ballet dancers ever so naturally she knows about dancing and once she nipped the annoying 'yah' bud in the head after week 1 she really became a great judge.

I'm so glad we got to see all the finalists dance their showdance because it always used to annoy me that one couple wouldn't get too. I'm still on the fence as to how much I like Wembley week. Part of me just feels it's too big and the dancers get a little lost but it does make a nice change. 

My biggest fault with the show now is Brucie. I just think it's time for him to retire. The week when it was just Tess Daley and Claudia Winkleman was so much better and so much less cringeworthy and painful to watch. Plus, Claudia is just hilarious and awesome and I love her. Also, did anyone else notice how painfully obvious it was that Robbie Williams wasn't actually there when Bruce and Tess were thanking him? I mean, come on! We know damn well the musical performances are never live so why try and kid us that the are.

So now begins the post Strictly schlump where I don't know what to do with my Saturday nights and I wonder what the hell I did for all the other Saturdays before it started. Seriously, what did I do? Oh yeah, tumblr…
Just a final picture to show off Louis' crazy ass gymnast strength and body. Seriously, how?
Fingers crossed next year is as good!

MeganShaelyn xx


0 comments:

Post a Comment